Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Global Warming

I think the Earth is warming and here is part of my historical proof.


From the book “Highlanders”, John Macleod, 1996, Hodder and Stoughton.

I started reading this book several years ago and then set it down and lost track of it. I remembered it again when my cousin, a young liberal who immigrated from Scotland to Canada wrote me to complain about our lack of participation in Kyoto. I finally found it again in my attic.

Pg 21-22

“Then the last ice age began. And Scotland was covered by an ice-cap whose edge ran 2,000 miles from Iceland to Norway. When it ended, so much water remained locked in the polar cap that the sea level was about 400 feet lower than today. A succession of climatic changes radically altered the flora and fauna of the Highlands. Yet even as late as 1000AD, Lewis was covered in scrub forest, according to Viking saga. Skye and Mull were well wooded as late as the 16th century.

Two climatic waggles occur in this historic era. Around AD 1000, before the Norman conquest of England, the climate of Europe became freakishly warm, and remained so for two centuries. Vineyards could flourish 300 miles further north than they can today. But there was a comeback. The period from 1430 to 1850 was so cold it has been dubbed the Little Ice Age. ……In our own century, between 1890 and 1938, there was an oscillation; sea temperature rose by half a degree, and there were apocalyptic prophecies that the whole Arctic might thaw, the sea level rise and half the cities in Europe be inundated.”

This is about all he writes about the temperature in the part I have read, after all it is a book about the Highlands, not the environment.

Please note the dates, and please, please, try to blame President Bush for this…….or America for that matter. S**t happens, the earth has cycles, talk to me again in 300 years when your complaining about global chilling.
But the Earth is warming...and cooling...and warming....and cooling....blah, blah, blah.....

5 Comments:

At 1:52 AM, Blogger Kender said...

O.K. I live in the 'high desert' in southern california. At 3300 feet elevation, snow is a rarity here, and has been for many years. When it does snow here it is a few inches and is usually gone by morning.

The weekend before thanksgiving it snowed here for over 24 hours with an official total of ten inches. I still have snow on the ground in front of my house. It hasn't warmed up much since then.

A man in the coffee shop yesterday was telling me that it is due to global warming and we needed to fix the environment or we would all die. He said he read that online. He also stated he believed that the election was rigged by the companies that made electronic voting machines. He said he read that online also.

It was early and I was cold and tired and really not in a good mood. I spoke a bit loud when I told him that global warming is hogwash, that the cycles of the earth are barely understood and if I had to share a genetic code with creatures as stupid as he seemed to be then humanity should die and that he needed to shut up.

Apparently he had been sitting there in this coffee shop complaining loudly about republicans and the environment and how it is all Bushs fault, never realizing that he was sitting in a room full of "Bushies" and as they were mostly older ranchers they were being polite and trying to ignore him.

I only found this out when applause broke out and the man glared at me and left in a pissy mood.

Global warming is bunk, and this group knows that too.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Village-Idiot said...

Thanks for visiting; my boy's are 3 now--what a blast from the past. I would suggest posting those pics, kids grow up so fast it'll leave your head spinning.


twinboys.blogspot.com

coming soon: www.twin-boys.com

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Ian said...

In reply to the previous poster, 'Kender', perhaps what is "hogwash" is the idea that global warming is the fault of humans. But I think it is a mistake to claim that the Earth isn't warming.
And this isn't just a left / right observation.
The oceans are rising,
the polar caps are melting:
The Earth is warming.
We just don't know the reasons why.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Richard Nixon said...

Thanks for your post Ian. I think it can be said that the earth is just going through its natural cycles. We have been through many ice ages, why not "hot ages" in between?

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger Kender said...

I would like to add something here. I love it when I find someone that has done the research.

http://maxedoutmama.blogspot.com/2004/12/what-goes-down.html

Follow the links. This is well worth the read.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home